Sat, Sep 01, 2012
KY Gov. Beshear Announces Grants Totaling More Than $2 Million
Governor Steve Beshear said Thursday that the FAA has awarded more than $2 million in grants for nine Kentucky airports for needed improvements that include runways, taxiways and rehabilitation of runway lighting.
“Airports are vital to Kentucky’s economy,” Gov. Beshear said. “It is essential that our airports are kept safe, well-maintained and up to date, and FAA funding is indispensable for such projects.”
The total value of the grants is $2,073,851. The projects approved by the FAA include:
- Ashland Regional Airport – $843,226 to purchase land to redesign and relocate a taxiway to meet FAA guidelines.
- Big Sandy Regional Airport, Prestonsburg – $300,000 for rehabilitation of runway lighting to maintain safe airfield operations in low-visibility conditions.
- Glasgow Municipal Airport – $297,366 to acquire land for a runway approach to enhance protection and safety.
- Kyle-Oakley Field Airport, Murray – $176,613 to construct a parking lot and expand an access road.
- Mount Sterling-Montgomery County Airport – $126,055 to update the airport layout plan and narrative report to help identify future airport development needs.
- Princeton-Caldwell County Airport – $105,000 to remove obstructions in one runway approach and to acquire land for development and enhancement to approaches.
- Stuart Powell Field Airport, Danville – $100,000 for an environmental study related to proposed land acquisition and Runway Safety Area Improvement.
- Cynthiana-Harrison County Airport – $74,741 to identify and remove obstructions in a runway approach.
- Morehead-Rowan County Clyde A. Thomas Regional Airport – $50,850 for construction of a hangar.
The FAA's Airport Improvement Program (AIP) provides grants to public agencies — and, in some cases, to private owners and entities -- for the planning and development of public-use airports that are included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS).
Three-Eight Charlie If you know the name of the first woman to fly solo around the world, you’re ahead of most people. By the way, if you thought it was Amelia Earhart, you&r>[...]
Holding pattern. A racetrack pattern, involving two turns and two legs, used to keep an aircraft within a prescribed airspace with respect to a geographic fix.>[...]
“We need a world-class system of weather prediction in the United States – one, as the National Academy of Sciences recently put it, that is ‘second to none'." So>[...]
Send Them A Story -- We Don't Mind! Do you need another set of eyes to see that story you can't believe Jim just wrote? Want to spread Hognose's unique wisdom and perspective to th>[...]
Cites 'Strong Record On Aviation Security' The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA) has endorsed Congressman Ed Markey for the U.S. Senate, specifically noting his proven rec>[...]