Seventeen Years On, MoD Publishes Independent Review Of U.K. Chinook Accident | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 11.28.16

Airborne 11.29.16

Airborne 11.30.16

Airborne 12.01.16

Airborne 12.02.16

Airborne Hi-Def On YouTube

Airborne 11.28.16

Airborne 11.29.16

Airborne 11.30.16

Airborne 12.01.16

Airborne 12.02.16

Fri, Jul 15, 2011

Seventeen Years On, MoD Publishes Independent Review Of U.K. Chinook Accident

Pilots Exonerated In The Official Military Report

Defence Secretary Dr. Liam Fox has published the conclusions of an independent review into a Chinook Mk2 helicopter crash of June 1994 on the Mull of Kintyre which tragically resulted in the deaths of all 29 people on board. The review, led by Lord Philip and assisted by three Privy Counsellors, examined the evidence relating to the findings of the Board of Inquiry into the accident.


File Photo

The review makes three key recommendations:

  • The finding that the pilots were negligent to a gross degree should be set aside.
  • The MOD should consider offering an apology to the families of the pilots.
  • The MOD should reconsider its policy and procedures for the transport of personnel whose responsibilities are vital to national security.

At the request of the Defence Secretary, the Defence Council was convened and has set aside the findings that the pilots were negligent to a gross degree and has ordered that this action be noted on the pilots' records.

On behalf of the MOD, the Defence Secretary has also apologised to the families of the pilots.

"I set up this review in the face of continued criticism of the official conclusion that the accident was caused by negligence to a gross degree and my own fear that an injustice had been done," said Dr. Fox in releasing the report Thursday. "The review concludes that this finding should be set aside. I hope that this will bring some comfort to the families of the pilots and I would like to apologise on behalf of the MOD for the sorrow which was caused to them by this finding. I pay tribute to the 29 people who died in the accident. Their deaths were a huge blow to the country and a tragedy for their families.

"I am grateful to Lord Philip and his fellow Privy Counsellors for their thorough and painstaking work which has resulted in clear and unanimous recommendations. I hope that the conclusion of this review and the action I have taken in response to it will bring an end to this chapter by removing this stain on the reputations of the two pilots."


File Photo

The review does not lay blame as to the cause of the accident and does not give support to any suggestions of technical failure. It concludes the cause of the accident is likely never to be known. Since the accident the Chinook aircraft has had an excellent safety record and continues to be a mainstay of operations, having the full confidence of those who fly it.

The Defence Secretary also stated that he would personally satisfy himself that the three Services had properly considered their policy and procedures for transporting personnel who are vital to national security.
 
"Last September I was asked, along with my fellow Privy Councillors Lord Forsyth, Baroness Liddell and Malcolm Bruce MP, to conduct an independent review of the findings of the Board of Inquiry into the RAF helicopter ZD576 accident on the Mull of Kintyre," said Lord Phillip. "Because of the limited amount of evidence available, the investigating Board of Inquiry were unable to determine the cause of the accident, and so concluded that it was impossible to find that the pilots had been negligent to any degree. The Reviewing Officers, on the other hand, concluded on the same evidence that both pilots had been negligent to a gross degree.

"We have recommended to the Secretary of State that the finding that the pilots were negligent to a gross degree should be set aside. We have also recommended that the Ministry of Defence should reconsider its policy and procedures for the transport of personnel whose responsibilities are vital to national security."

FMI: www.mod.uk

Advertisement

More News

Barnstorming: Saving Santa Monica¬Ö and Enhancing The Future of Aviation

As If We Didn’t Have Enough to Do, Another Critical Challenge Demands Our Full Attention It has been a brutal few weeks… starting with the loss of our dear friend, Bob>[...]

VSS Unity, The New SpaceShipTwo, Free-Flies For The First Time

Two Years After Tragedy, The Program Proves It Still Has The Right Stuff The newest SpaceShipTwo has flown free for the first time. According to the Virgin Galactic crew, "Our new >[...]

AMA Opposes Orlando City Council Drone Ordinance

Proposal Runs Afoul Of Federal Authority Over The Nation’s Airspace... The Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) sent a letter to the Orlando City Council in opposition to a pro>[...]

Aero-News: Quote of the Day (12.05.16)

"This represents culmination of many years of hard work and perseverance by the team here in the USA and back at base in Germany too, we’re literally over the moon.” So>[...]

AeroSports Update: AutoGyro Now Type Certificated In The U.S.

The FAA Has Granted Type Certification To AutoGyro For Its Factory-Built Calidus Aircraft It seems we hear a lot about new FAA type certification of airliners and corporate jets, b>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2016 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC