Saudis Deny Dive-Bomb Story | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 06.29.15

Airborne 06.30.15

Airborne 07.01.15

Airborne 06.25.15

Airborne 06.26.15

Airborne Hi-Def On YouTube

Airborne 06.29.15

Airborne 06.30.15

Airborne 07.01.15

Airborne 06.25.15

Airborne 06.26.15

Mon, Dec 29, 2003

Saudis Deny Dive-Bomb Story

BA: We Wouldn't Fly If It Wasn't Safe

Saudi Arabia's official news agency Monday denied remarks from a British member of Parliament, who said Sunday that Saudi intelligence agents had foiled a plot involving general aviation aircraft.

Patrick Mercer (right), the opposition spokesman for British Homeland Security, told the Sunday Globe and Mail that Saudi authorities had arrested several terror suspects -- among them, two men who were planning to use general aviation aircraft packed with explosives to dive-bomb a British Airways 777 at King Khalid Airport in Riyadh.

“My understanding is that they were found on the flight line and that the plan was to fly them into a passenger jet, either about to land or take off,” said Mercer, quoted in the Mail.

Mercer said the Saudis were trying to cover up the incident, but cited "unimpeachable sources" in his account. Indeed, the official Saudi news agency said Monday, “A Saudi security official said that a report by The Mail on Sunday quoting a British politician as saying that Saudi authorities arrested two suicide pilots who were planning to fly two small planes into a packed British Airways plane is not true.”

“It is unfortunate that some foreign newspapers have taken to publishing such baseless reports, with the aim of sensationalizing them and showing no sense of the responsibility of the media,” the Saudi official said.

British Airways initially refused comment on the story, citing security concerns. Later, the airline said though a spokesman, “We are in regular contact with the Saudi authorities and the British government and we wouldn’t fly unless it was completely safe to do so. We haven’t changed our flights to or from Saudi Arabia.”

FMI: www.homeoffice.gov.uk/terrorism/index.html

Advertisement

More News

Airborne 06.30.15: Defending Santa Monica, Aspen ADS-B, NBAA v Privatization

Also: Spectra Reserves, Aero-Calendar, New Airman Standards, Spaceport America, Pointing Lasers, C-17 Training Network, Seaplane Sim Supporters of the Santa Monica, California Airp>[...]

Hexacopter Blasted Out Of The Air Results In Small Claims Charge

Court Finds In Favor Of Aircraft Owner Back in November last year, Eric Joe was visiting his parent's home in Modesto, CA, and flew his Hexacopter low and slow over what he says wa>[...]

SpaceX Falcon 9 Anomaly Was Apparently In The Booster's Second Stage

First Stage Operated Normally As The Spacecraft Disintegrated More details are emerging from the launch failure Sunday of a SpaceX Falcon 9 booster carrying a Dragon resupply space>[...]

AeroSports Update: Wingfoot One Headed To AirVenture

Goodyear’s Brand New Wingfoot One Airship Makes Its EAA AirVenture Oshkosh Debut This Year. If you think rigid airships are something from the past, it’s time to get a >[...]

AD: Dassault Aviation Airplanes

AD NUMBER: 2015-13-08 PRODUCT: All Dassault Aviation Model FALCON 2000EX airplanes.>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2015 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC