Despite Storm Threat, NASA Reports Discovery Still Go For Saturday | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 03.02.15

Airborne 02.24.15

Airborne 02.25.15

Airborne 02.26.15

Airborne 02.27.15

Airborne Hi-Def On YouTube

Airborne 03.02.15

Airborne 02.24.15

Airborne 02.25.15

Airborne 02.26.15

Airborne 02.27.15

Fri, Jun 30, 2006

Despite Storm Threat, NASA Reports Discovery Still Go For Saturday

ANN REALTIME UPDATE 06.30.06 1500 EDT -- With storm clouds gathering, the official word from NASA is that Saturday's launch of the space shuttle Discovery remains on as planned.

The countdown for the Discovery launch is currently in a built-in hold at the 11-hour mark, with the countdown scheduled to resume at 10:53 pm. The launch control team members are in Firing Room 4 of the Launch Control Center monitoring the system consoles.

Launch remains scheduled for 3:49 pm Saturday.

The STS-121 crew is relaxing and reviewing flight data files today. They will go to sleep at 8:15 pm at the Kennedy Space Center, and will be awakened at 5:15 am Saturday to begin final prelaunch preparations.

Meanwhile, at Launch Pad 39B, preparations continue for the launch. Fuel cell reactants were loaded Thursday night after a three-hour delay caused by lightning at the Kennedy Space Center. Crew module provisions are being stowed, and pad closeouts are under way. The rollback of the Rotating Service Structure is scheduled for 7 pm Friday night.

Despite the routine preparations, however, the prognosis for a Saturday launch does not look ideal. US Air Force weather officers are still forecasting a 60-percent chance of weather prohibiting the launch attempt, with the primary weather concerns being anvil clouds from inland thunderstorms and thundershowers within 20 nautical miles of the Shuttle Landing Facility.

If the launch is delayed Saturday, another attempt will be made Sunday afternoon... but the forecast isn't much better then, either. If the launch is bumped from Sunday, the next attempt would be made Tuesday, July 4.

FMI: www.nasa.gov

Advertisement

More News

Airborne 02.27.15: CS300 Flies, Nimoy Goes West, NTSB's Hart OK'd, PBOR II

Also: Bell 505 Update, Mooney Update, UAV Hysteria, AAR Sells Telair, True Blue Power, More UAV Waivers, Flyers Rights The Bombardier CSeries CS300 airliner made its first flight t>[...]

Counting Down! ANN's Infamous April 1st Edition's Just Around The Corner!

Get Your Wacky Ideas In NOW! ANN E-I-C Note: Folks... we gotta warn you... based on all the nonsense we've had to endure in 2014-2015 (which we are duty-bound to lampoon), this may>[...]

CHP Selects Becker Digital Audio And Polycon Wireless Intercom

Systems To Be Installed In New Helicopters And Fixed Wing Fleet Becker Avionics has reached an agreement with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) Office of Air Operations, which wi>[...]

ANA Selects Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 Engines For New Aircraft

Latest Order Valued At $130 Million For Dreamliners Rolls-Royce has been selected by All Nippon Airways (ANA) to provide Trent 1000 engines, worth $130 million, to power three addi>[...]

Klyde Morris (03.02.15)

Klyde Fears FAA's Enforcement Objectives... FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2015 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC