Pilot Sues Air Force Over Friendly Fire Bombing | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

AMA Drone Report

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday

Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On ANN

ADR 02.20.17

Airborne 02.20.17

Airborne 02.21.17

Airborne 02.22.17

Airborne 02.23.17

Airborne 02.24.17

Airborne-HD On YouTube

ADR 02.20.17

Airborne 02.20.17

Airborne 02.21.17

Airborne 02.22.17

Airborne 02.23.17

Airborne 02.24.17

Mon, Apr 10, 2006

Pilot Sues Air Force Over Friendly Fire Bombing

Says Release Of Reprimand Ruined His Career

A pilot involved in a 2002 friendly fire bombing in Afghanistan that killed four Canadian soldiers and injured eight others is suing the US Air Force, claiming military officials ruined his reputation as a pilot by releasing a letter of reprimand for the incident.

National Guard Major Harry Schmidt's lawsuit, filed Friday in federal court, accuses the Air Force of violating privacy laws by releasing the letter of reprimand he received in the wake of the bombing.

"The government flat-out failed to comply with their agreement," said Schmidt's attorney, Charles Gittins, to the Associated Press. Gittins added the July 2004 disclosure of the reprimand also violated the settlement agreement that kept Schmidt from receiving a court-martial over the accidental attack.

Schmidt was one of two F-16 pilots who mistook muzzle flashes from Canadian forces engaged in target practice exercises near Kandahar airport on the night of April 17, 2002, for Taliban forces.

Believing them to be the enemy, Schmidt dropped a 500-lb laser-guided bomb on the Canadian soldiers. He maintains his superiors never told him the Canadians would be conducting live-fire exercises that night.

The second pilot involved in the attack also received a letter of reprimand, and was allowed to retire from the Guard. He is not named in the lawsuit.

An Air Force spokeswoman told the AP "at this point, it would be inappropriate for me to comment on the case," adding she had not yet seen the lawsuit.

FMI: www.af.mil

Advertisement

More News

Counting Down! ANN's Infamous April 1st Edition's Just Around The Corner!

Get Your Wacky Ideas In NOW! ANN E-I-C Note: Folks... we gotta warn you... our Annual April 1st Editions are LEGENDARY -- and this WILL be our best April 1st Edition yet. Based on >[...]

Daher Salutes The Service Entry Of Asia’s First TBM 930 Very Fast Turboprop

New Owner Upgrades From A TBM 850 Daher has announced the service entry of the initial TBM 930 based in Asia. It was delivered in December to Anutin Charnvirakul, who previously ow>[...]

Airborne 02.23.17: Sonaca 200, Yuneec H920 Plus, SpaceX Delays Mars Mission

Also: NextGen Blimps, AEA/HAI Coverage, L-39 Suit, Drone User Group, Red Arrows Pilot Inquest, 2nd T-50A, Steve Fossett Honored Sonaca Aircraft is getting ready to start certificat>[...]

Airborne 02.22.17: CAF Dixie Wing P-63A, AF1 Price Cut, SLS Manned Flt?

Also: Drone Light Show, Remotely Piloted Helos, TFR Busts, Gulfstream, XTI Aircraft, CA Airlines, Icelandair After more than 40 years since it’s last flight, the Commemorativ>[...]

Airborne 02.23.17: Sonaca 200, Yuneec H920 Plus, SpaceX Delays Mars Mission

Also: NextGen Blimps, AEA/HAI Coverage, L-39 Suit, Drone User Group, Red Arrows Pilot Inquest, 2nd T-50A, Steve Fossett Honored Sonaca Aircraft is getting ready to start certificat>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2017 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC