Government Wins Case on Cancelled Navy Contract for A-12 Stealth Attack Aircraft | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

Monday

Tuesday

Wednesday

Thursday

Friday

Airborne On ANN

Airborne 05.02.16

Airborne 05.03.16

Airborne 05.04.16

Airborne 05.05.16

Airborne 05.06.16

Airborne Hi-Def On YouTube

Airborne 05.02.16

Airborne 05.03.16

Airborne 05.04.16

Airborne 05.05.16

Airborne 05.06.16

AEA2016 LIVE Aero-TV: 04/27-0830ET, 04/28-1400ET, 04/29-1100ET

Sun 'n Fun 2016 Innovation Preview on Vimeo!

Sun 'n Fun 2016 Innovation Preview on YouTube!

Mon, May 07, 2007

Government Wins Case on Cancelled Navy Contract for A-12 Stealth Attack Aircraft

Someone Owes Uncle Sam A LOT Of Moolah

The US Court of Federal Claims has upheld the Navy's termination for default of a contract with McDonnell Douglas and General Dynamics for the A-12 stealth attack aircraft.

In 1988, the Navy awarded the $4 billion fixed-price contract for development of the A-12, which was to be a stealthy, carrier-based attack aircraft. The program encountered serious technical difficulties, and in 1991, then Secretary of Defense Dick Cheney terminated the A-12 program because it was substantially over budget and behind schedule. The Navy subsequently terminated the contract for default, without ever receiving a single plane.

The contractors challenged the termination, resulting in 16 years of litigation. The court originally overturned the termination, holding that then Secretary of Defense Cheney had wrongfully terminated the A-12 program over the Navy's objections. Following two appeals, the court held that the Navy had properly terminated the contract for default.

"We are gratified by the court's decision, which explains why the Navy was within its rights to terminate the contract for default and protect the American taxpayer's interests, and hopefully will bring this long litigation closer to resolution," said Deputy Assistant Attorney General Michael F. Hertz.

Unless the judgement is overturned on appeal, the contractors will be required to return to the government payments of about $1.35 billion, plus interest, a sum which currently exceeds $2.6 billion.

FMI: www.usdoj.gov

Advertisement

More News

Textron Aviation Opens New Facility In Germany

Expands Line Maintenance Offering With New Bremen Site Textron Aviation has opened a new European line maintenance station in Bremen, Germany, further enhancing its service offerin>[...]

NASA Moves To Begin Historic New Era Of X-Plane Research

Supersonic Aircraft Will Be Built And Flown Over The Next 10 Years History is about to repeat itself. There have been periods of time during the past seven decades – some bus>[...]

Michigan High School Establishes Aviation Program

Classes Will Be Held At Pellston Regional Airport Alanson, Michigan Superintendent of Schools Dean Paul has established an aviation program for high school students with classes to>[...]

FAA Provides An Update At UAS Symposium

The FAA Administrator Says Progress Is Being Made On UAS Issues The FAA held a UAS Symposium in conjunction with Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University last week to broaden the dialo>[...]

FAA Approves 5,000 Section 333 Exemption Petition Grants

Gowdy Brothers Aerospace Looks To The Future Of Non-Recreational UAS Use FAA Airman and Airspace Rules Division announces 5,076 approved Section 333 petition grants. The FAA furthe>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2016 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC