Sat, Jul 21, 2012
Latest Iteration Includes New 'Advisor' Features
ForeFlight has released the latest version of its flight planning app which the company says greatly improves route selection and editing. This release introduces three of what the company calls “Advisors” ... helpful features that make flight planning and decision making simpler. Route Advisor, Procedure Advisor, Altitude Advisor, and an all new route editor – work in concert to save time in the flight planning process.
Route Advisor shows high and low airway auto-route suggestions, preferred routes, tower en-route control (TEC) routes, and a greatly expanded set of previously flown / assigned routes between airports. Procedure Advisor will help in the selection of SIDs, STARs, and transitions. Lastly, Altitude Advisor helps the pilot find the right altitude for your direction of travel and whether you are flying VFR or IFR. Then use the new route editor to re-arrange waypoints, insert waypoints, or drag them away from the editor to delete them.
The app update also includes Stratus 2.1 firmware, which unlocks new Stratus capabilities and greatly improves GPS and battery performance. Stratus is the highly acclaimed (read here, here, and here) portable ADS-B receiver made by Appareo Systems and available exclusively at Sporty’s.
Among the features in the lastest version are:
- Route Advisor: support for airway auto-routing, preferred and terminal en-route control (TEC) routes, more ATC-assigned routes between airports (up to one year’s worth, giving you lots of options).
- Altitude Advisor: displays a list of altitudes, wind effects, and adjustments for VFR, IFR, and direction of flight.
- Procedure Advisor: displays a list of SIDS, STARs, and their associated transitions, simplifying SID/STAR procedure selection.
- Intelligent editor: an innovative new route editor that adds drag and drop ordering of waypoints, helpful altitude selection, SID/STAR selection, and route validation as you type.
- Fast search: keyword search on Airports view is significantly faster.
- Map search: searches for single waypoints on the map do not alter the active flight plan.
- New weather stations: support for off-airport weather stations, like mountain passes and Gulf of Mexico reporting stations.
ForeFligth says on its blog that the new advisors in ForeFlight Mobile 4.6, combined with the all new route editor, are another step towards much more efficient flight planning and flying.
(Image from ForeFlight demo video)
"The RCAF took the initiative to remove these functional, perfectly good parts and use them effectively. It was a sound decision, helping to ensure the long-term viability of the a>[...]
Integrates Preventative Maintenance, Flight Scheduling, And Mission Planning The 'next evolution' of the F-35 Lightning II's information technology backbone called the Autonomic Lo>[...]
Delivers First A380 To Qatar Airways Saying Airplane Is 'Ideal' For The Region Airbus has delivered Qatar Airways' first A380, and has used the occasion to tout the airplane as pla>[...]
International Jet Aviation, Make-A-Wish Foundation, To Be Honored In Orlando The NBAA is pleased to announce that International Jet Aviation Services of Centennial, CO and the Make>[...]
Applications Period Open For Space Technology Grants NASA is seeking applications from U.S. graduate students for the agency's Space Technology Research Fellowships. The research g>[...]