Despite Storm Threat, NASA Reports Discovery Still Go For Saturday | Aero-News Network
Aero-News Network
RSS icon RSS feed
podcast icon MP3 podcast
Subscribe Aero-News e-mail Newsletter Subscribe

Airborne Unlimited -- Recent Daily Episodes

Episode Date

AMA Drone Report

Airborne-Monday

Airborne-Tuesday

Airborne-Wednesday

Airborne-Thursday

Airborne-Friday

Airborne On ANN

ADR 02.27.17

Airborne 02.27.17

Airborne 02.28.17

Airborne 02.22.17

Airborne 02.23.17

Airborne 02.24.17

Airborne-HD On YouTube

ADR 02.27.17

Airborne 02.27.17

Airborne 02.28.17

Airborne 02.22.17

Airborne 02.23.17

Airborne 02.24.17

Fri, Jun 30, 2006

Despite Storm Threat, NASA Reports Discovery Still Go For Saturday

ANN REALTIME UPDATE 06.30.06 1500 EDT -- With storm clouds gathering, the official word from NASA is that Saturday's launch of the space shuttle Discovery remains on as planned.

The countdown for the Discovery launch is currently in a built-in hold at the 11-hour mark, with the countdown scheduled to resume at 10:53 pm. The launch control team members are in Firing Room 4 of the Launch Control Center monitoring the system consoles.

Launch remains scheduled for 3:49 pm Saturday.

The STS-121 crew is relaxing and reviewing flight data files today. They will go to sleep at 8:15 pm at the Kennedy Space Center, and will be awakened at 5:15 am Saturday to begin final prelaunch preparations.

Meanwhile, at Launch Pad 39B, preparations continue for the launch. Fuel cell reactants were loaded Thursday night after a three-hour delay caused by lightning at the Kennedy Space Center. Crew module provisions are being stowed, and pad closeouts are under way. The rollback of the Rotating Service Structure is scheduled for 7 pm Friday night.

Despite the routine preparations, however, the prognosis for a Saturday launch does not look ideal. US Air Force weather officers are still forecasting a 60-percent chance of weather prohibiting the launch attempt, with the primary weather concerns being anvil clouds from inland thunderstorms and thundershowers within 20 nautical miles of the Shuttle Landing Facility.

If the launch is delayed Saturday, another attempt will be made Sunday afternoon... but the forecast isn't much better then, either. If the launch is bumped from Sunday, the next attempt would be made Tuesday, July 4.

FMI: www.nasa.gov

Advertisement

More News

Counting Down! ANN's Infamous April 1st Edition's Just Around The Corner!

Get Your Wacky Ideas In NOW! ANN E-I-C Note: Folks... we gotta warn you... our Annual April 1st Editions are LEGENDARY -- and this WILL be our best April 1st Edition yet. Based on >[...]

Airborne 02.24.17: RV-10 Suit Dismissed, 2016 GA Sales, Red Tail Legacy

Also: Falcon 9 Landing, TFR Busts, Denton Airshow, QF-16, Treasure Coast, 'Fly Safe' Campaign, Juno Mission When the news first came out, in 2015, that Van's Aircraft was sued for >[...]

Sun 'N Fun To Host Massive Gathering Of P-51 Mustangs

Expected To Be The Largest Assembly Of P-51s In A Decade Or More It is being billed as possibly the largest gathering of P-51 Mustangs in a decade or more ... on Wednesday, April 5>[...]

DJI Hints At A New Drone, Reveals Details Early

Industry WAS Speculating What The Drone Giant May Be Bringing To Market Next Generating buzz is good marketing, and DJI was doing so with a Tweet announcing new products for the Mo>[...]

Klyde Morris (02.27.17)

Klyde Is Amazed By All The Ways NASA Info Gets Interpreted FMI: www.klydemorris.com>[...]

blog comments powered by Disqus



Advertisement

Advertisement

Podcasts

Advertisement

© 2007 - 2017 Web Development & Design by Pauli Systems, LC